Monday, March 15, 2010

Brooklyn's Williamsburg

Yesterday I woke up and looked out at the rain, hagle and wind again and thought, ok I'll just do a 'Carrie' and take a taxi where ever I need to go today. So I did. It's very easy to get cabs, at least all the time I tried. It just to step out in the street, wave and off you go. I said to the driver:
"Let's go to Brooklyn!"
"Ok where at?", he asked in a broken English. So far, all the taxi drivers I met is from Bangladesh, as all over the world. Well I also had a Bronx dude that I did not understand at all. And last night to the airport there was a guy from China who had lived in NYC for 12 years and did not understand the word Europe... Anyway, I took up my map but realized that it only covered Manhattan. I knew I wanted to check out Williamsburg, a friend of mine lives there and told me it's nice. So I said, "Take me to Williamsburg, please." "Mam, I drive in Manhattam, I don't know Brooklyn, you have to tell me two streets crossing.""Ehh, ok, well just start driving and I'll tell you when we get there.".
.
.
..
.
I had no idea, but started to look at the map in the backseat. The only problem is that the map is not interactive, so you can't drag the map further on the map to find your way ahead, you can just follow the green dotted line as he drives.
He kept on asking and I kept on saying just drive, I will tell you later.










.
.

.

We entered Brooklyn crossing the Williamburg's bridge where you can see parts of lower Manhattan if you turn around and if the mist and rain doesn't cover your sight...
I tried to look for a spot on the map that could be interesting, using the names of the street to try to figure out the cool street. I laughed at my self...well why not. So I said: "Take me to Bedford street crossing 7th street." "Ok, mam." He dropped me off and i started walking and found my self in THE street of Williamsburg. I thanked my own street-name cred ;)






..
.
.
.

.

Breakfast! The first café I saw was excactly the kind of place I was looking for. Worn out wooden floor, all chairs different, cool industry lamps and a cool atmosphere. It reminded me a lot of the cafées I love i Berlin, it's just a perfect hangout for a sunday.
Two girls came up to me asked me what I wanted to order and started chatting with them about Brooklyn, about vintage stores etc. Telling them this was my first time in Wburg etc And they asked me where I'm from. "Sweden." "Ah, jag med!" Said the blond (of course). The other girl smiled and left with a 'ja ja I let the Swedes chat a long'. She was super nice (the girl with the black/white dress in the picture) and it turned out that her mother was running THE Vintage store just around the corner. She had lived there for 12 years and loved it.


.
.
.
.
I went to her mother's store but it was closed. I waited, but then guessed that the Danish girl who were suppose to work there today forgot the time light saving reset. So I moved on and walked the not so long street.











.
.


.
.
I found other small fun store in the side streets. Wooden shoes from Sweden is the shit this year. both here and in Berlin. these were called SVEN :)











.
.
Brooklyn is known for its brow stone buildings. And if you can get one that's is not too expensive you're lucky.

It was good to see this area. This is where people chill. A lot of baby strollers and people just hanging out chatting on the street. Nice atmosphere. Could see my self come here for Sunday brunches and just read and go for a walk.

1 comment:

Magdalena said...

Va mysigt det verkar! Låt oss flytta dit!!