Monday, March 15, 2010

NYC - New Museum

After my breakfast in Brooklyn, I took the sub, only one stop to 14th street and walked through the East Village.
I was there this Friday also for a birthday party that I was sneaky-invited to. It's a nice area with a lot of restaurants, cafés and shops – a very popular area to live in for the young and hip in other words. So I wanted to check it out.
I was running around with my very broken umbrella that only covered one forth of me, but it at least did something. The rain did it hard to really just stand and take it in, but what I saw I liked.
It is a nice neighborhood.







.



I kept on going south, heading for the New Museum that I was tipped off by a Parisian Facebook friend, Elizabeth. I had heard that the exhibitions sometimes are very post modern and hard to grasp, so I read up on the exhibition and saw that Jeff Koones was the curator. He is known for his giant reproductions of banal objects such as balloon animals. So i thought if he is the curator I'll go there and check it out.


.
.
.
.




The architecture of the museum is really nice with a lot of wall paintings, a lot of light and space, and not too big. It's designed by the Tokyo partners Kazuyo Sejima and Ryue Nishizawa.
Read more: The New Museum -- New York Magazine Architecture Review http://nymag.com/arts/architecture/reviews/41267/#ixzz0iFvo06E4


No cameras were aloud in the exhibition so I can't show you what I saw except from the ones I found on flickr just now below. But I have to say that it was a little bit too 'magstarkt' for me. Plastic covered bodies, as after a Tsunami or an earthquake. A live performance of a Afro American crucified on the wall... I had to ask the guard how long they kept him up there. One hour at the time he said. Men turned in to Pigs - that one I liked though, (below).
Giant man with glass pieced coming out with a little squirrel on his shoulder. Some exhibitions are easier to digest now after a while. And it's always fun to see people's creativity.
.
.
.
.



...

1 comment:

John Lute said...

If you love money and you love games and you can play smart and know when it is time to stop to not lose too much, then you definitely should try Forever Diamonds